We made fried chicken recently, so that got us thinking about other things we could bread and fry and shrimp was a natural next choice. These are very easy to make. You don’t need a deep fryer either, a dutch oven or any other wide pot is perfect here. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp!
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), peeled, deveined
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Whisk salt, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and onion powder in a small bowl to blend.
- Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of a heavy wide pot. Add enough oil to measure 2″. Heat over medium heat to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp and 2 tablespoons spice mix in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Pour buttermilk into another medium bowl. Whisk flour and cornmeal in another medium bowl.
- Dip seasoned shrimp briefly in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture. Working in batches, fry shrimp, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain.