Chicken salad is a great way to use leftover chicken or a great excuse to poach a chicken on its own (make sure you keep the liquid you poach in for soups!). We are using a combination of yoghurt and mayo for a bit of a lighter dressing, but try mixing this up so its exactly the way you like it!
- 1 poached chicken, 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup drained capers
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¾ cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
- salt to taste, if desired
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 8 to 12 slices rye bread, either freshly toasted or left untoasted
- Pickle strips, radishes or cherry tomatoes, for garnish
Strip the cooked chicken meat from the bones and cut it into bitesize pieces. There should be about 3 1/2 cups. Put the meat into a mixing bowl. Add the celery, onion and capers.
Blend together the yogurt, mayonnaise and vinegar and add to the chicken mixture. Add salt, pepper, parsley and scallions and toss to blend.
Use the bread to make sandwiches, garnished, if desired, with pickle strips, radishes, cherry tomatoes or any garnish of your choice.