This is a classic Italian dinner, that should be part of your weeknight dinner routine. It’s a salty dish packed with capers, anchovies and olives balanced with the sweetness of tomatoes.
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 whole large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 whole fillets oil-packed anchovies
- 1 whole 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 6 whole cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup mixed green and black olives (3 ½ oz.), sliced
- 3 tbsp. large, salt-packed capers, soaked 15 minutes in water, then drained
- 1⁄2–1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- Coarsely chopped Italian parsley, for serving
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the garlic and anchovies and cook until very fragrant but not yet colored, 15-20 seconds. Stir in the canned and fresh tomatoes, olives, capers, red pepper flakes, and oregano; bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium-low. Cook until the liquid has reduced slightly, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the spaghetti and cook until just barely al dente, 8-9 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta-cooking water. Return the sauce to medium heat, then add the pasta and the reserved water to the skillet. Toss to coat, stirring vigorously to finish cooking the pasta and thicken the sauce slightly, 2-3 minutes.
Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter if desired. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.