- 1 ½ cups Elbow macaroni
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Milk, whole
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 175ºC / 350ºF. Grease a large baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add pasta.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add all-purpose flour and stir until mixture is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk to remove any lumps. Add salt and black pepper. Increase heat to medium-high heat until sauce thickens and starts to bubble, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth and melted. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is just before al dente, drain and combine with sauce.
- Place mixture in prepared baking dish until browned and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use cheddar and gruyere cheese