- for pasta water Salt
- ½ lb Penne pasta
- for brushing Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 ½ lb Ground beef, lean
- ½ cup Yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14 oz can Diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- ½ tsp Oregano, dried
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until a few minutes before al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Heat oven to 175°C / 350°F. Lightly butter a medium baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add ground beef, yellow onion and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender and beef is no longer pink.
- Drain off any excess fat and add tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, garlic, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cooked pasta and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with an additional cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and bubbly, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve.
- Alternatively, you can use green bell pepper
- If you like spice, add red chili flakes in step 4
- Additionally, you can add dried basil in step 4
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and/or chopped basil if desired
- This recipe can be made using ground turkey or sausage if preferred