15 mL / 1 tbsp
450 g / 1 lb
Yellow onion, chopped
1 large onion
Green bell pepper, chopped
Tomatoes, crushed (canned)
800 g / 28 oz
225 g / 8 oz
Kidney beans, canned
425 g / 15 oz
Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat neutral oil over medium heat. Crumble beef into skillet and add onion and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and beef is no longer pink, about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add chili powder, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, and thyme. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 1½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water or stock if chili gets too dry..
- Drain canned beans. Add beans to the chili and heat through. Garnish with cheddar cheese and serve.
- If you want a spicier chili, add 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and minced)
- There will be leftover chili which you can easily freeze
- You can garnish your chili with a dollop of sour cream