- ½ lb Potatoes , preferably Yukon Gold
- 2 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 2 ½ lbs Chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper , freshly ground
- 5 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 2 Shallot , peeled and quartered
- 1 Lemon , sliced
- ⅓ cup Stock , chicken or vegetable
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and boil the potatoes until barely fork tender. Drain and set aside. Once they cool, cut them in half.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken evenly with salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken skin side down in the pot for 5 minutes, without disturbing, to brown. (This may need to be done in 2 batches) Flip the chicken over, skin side up.
- Nestle the potatoes, garlic, shallots and lemon slices in between the chicken pieces.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Place the lid on the pot and cook in oven until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 75°C/165°F, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the butter to the pan. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with chives. When the butter is melted and incorporated into the sauce, it is ready to be served.
- Alternately, you can use chicken legs or breasts but be aware that cooking times will vary