340 mL / 1½ cups
White rice, long grain
200 g / 7 oz
Stock, chicken or vegetable
225 g / 8 oz
225 mL / ⅔ cup
45 mL / 3 tbsp
Brown sugar, tightly packed
15 mL / 1 tbsp
Ginger, peeled and grated
Black pepper, freshly ground
|Chicken, breast, cut into 1.9 cm / ¾” thick pieces||450 g / 1 lb||2 breasts|
|Black pepper, freshly ground||to taste||-|
|Olive oil, extra virgin||15 g||15 mL / 1 tbsp|
Olive oil, extra virgin
15 mL / 1 tbsp
Broccoli, cut into florets
Onion, white, sliced
140 g / 5 oz
1 small onion
Mushrooms, preferably button, sliced
225 g / ½ lb
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, about 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and black pepper. Whisk to dissolve sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Season chicken with black pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer and sear until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add olive oil, broccoli, onion and mushrooms. Stir fry until mushrooms are softened and broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium/low.
- Give your sauce a quick stir and pour over vegetables. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice. Serve stir fry over rice.
- If you want to thin the sauce, add water a tablespoon at a time
- You can substitute honey for brown sugar
- You can substitute chicken breast for chicken thigh
- Sesame seeds are an optional garnish