- 2 lbs Squash, butternut, , peeled, de-seeded, cut into 2.5cm / 1” cubes
- 1 large Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper , freshly ground
- 4 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- ½ lb Farfalle pasta
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 12 Sage leaves, fresh
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper , freshly ground
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, onion, salt, black pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat and spread out on a roasting pan.
- Roast until tender and lightly browned, turning halfway through the roasting time, about 30 to 35 minutes in total.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook butter and sage leaves until butter begins to brown. Add garlic and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Make sure to not let the butter burn. Remove from heat and remove sage with a slotted spoon; crumble the sage with a spoon.
- Add the cooked pasta to the butter mixture along with the crumbled sage and roasted squash and onions. Put back on the heat and continue cooking, stirring, until pasta and squash are hot. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Toss with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- Alternately, use penne or rombi pasta noodles
- Any type of squash or pumpkin can be used
- If you dislike sage, oregano can be used as a substitute.
- For additional texture and protein, add cooked white beans in step 6