Chicken, breast, boneless, cut into small pieces
450 g / 1 lb
Yellow onion, chopped
1 medium onion
Black pepper, freshly ground
100 mL / ½ cup
Stock, chicken or vegetable
110 mL / ½ cup
Parsley, preferably flat leaf, minced
Pie crust, unbaked, store bought
2 (top and bottom)
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Once melted, add chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked though, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add all-purpose flour. Stir until no dry flour remains. Slowly stir in cream, then the stock. Cook until bubbling and thick, stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in peas and parsley. Let cool for 15 to 30 minutes before filling the pie.
- In a 23 cm / 9” pie plate, fit one pie crust. Spoon cooled filling into crust. Top with second pie crust. Seal edges of pie crust together. Cut 3 to 4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15 to 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
- You can make the filling up to 3 days ahead of time and store in refrigerator
- The longer you allow the pie to cool before slicing, the thicker/less runny the filling will be
- Alternatively, you can use fresh peas