- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 lb Chicken, breast, skinless/boneless, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Carrots, sliced
- ½ cup Celery , sliced
- 1 onion Yellow onion , chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Stock, chicken or vegetable
- ½ cup Peas, frozen
- 2 tbsp Parsley, preferably flat leaf, minced
- Pie crust, unbaked, store bought
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Once melted, add chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked though, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add all-purpose flour. Stir until no dry flour remains. Slowly stir in heavy cream, then the stock. Cook until bubbling and thick, stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in peas and parsley. Let cool for 15 to 30 minutes before filling the pie.
- In a 23 cm / 9” pie plate, fit one pie crust. Spoon cooled filling into crust. Top with second pie crust. Seal edges of pie crust together. Cut 3 to 4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15 to 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Alternatively, you can use frozen peas
- Pouring hot filling into the unbaked crust will make the crust soggy
- You can make the filling up to 3 days ahead of time and store in refrigerator
- The longer you allow the pie to cool before slicing, the thicker/less runny the filling will be