680 mL / 3 cups
Basmati rice, rinsed
400 g / 14 oz
Chicken, breast, skinless & boneless
900 g / 2 lb
Black pepper, freshly ground
115 mL / ½ cup
Stock, vegetable or chicken
65 mL / ½ cup
110 mL / ½ cup
5 mL / 1 tsp
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in basmati rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Season chicken evenly with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add all-purpose flour and mix well.
- Add white wine and cook until alcohol evaporates, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in stock, heavy cream, lemon juice, salt and paprika. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, about another 2 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and cook until internal temperature reaches 75°C / 165°F, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice. Serve with chicken.
Chardonnay or Riesling are great choices for the wine used in the sauce
White wine vinegar is an ideal substitute for white wine, but needs to be diluted. A mix of 50% vinegar and 50% water is recommended
You should consistently be tasting for seasoning adjustments as you go
Alternatively, you can use skin-on chicken or chicken thighs, but cooking times will vary