- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper , freshly ground
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Breadcrumbs, preferably Panko
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 lbs Eggplant, cut into thick rounds
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
SAUCE AND ASSEMBLY
- 1 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 3 cups Marinara sauce
- ¼ cup Basil , chopped
- 1 lb Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 190˚C / 375˚F. Grease 2 baking sheets. Set up 3 rimmed plates. In the first one, add flour, salt and black pepper. In the second, beat 3 eggs. In the third, combine panko crumbs and parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant slices in flour, then beaten eggs, then in the panko mixture.
- Place breaded eggplant onto greased baking sheets and drizzle tops with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, flipping the eggplant rounds and rotating the pans halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic. Once fragrant, add marinara sauce and basil. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Spread ¼ cup of marinara sauce in a large casserole dish. Add ½ of the eggplant slices and top with ½ of the marinara sauce and ½ the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining eggplant, marinara and mozzarella. Bake at 190˚C / 375˚F until cheese is melted and slightly golden, about 25 minutes.
- You may need to overlap eggplant slices in order to fit them into the baking dish
- Alternatively, you can make your own marinara sauce