- 4 potatoes Potato, preferably Russet, peeled
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 Egg, beaten
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp Neutral oil
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion. Squeeze out excess liquid using paper towel. Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Heat neutral oil in a frying pan. Working in batches, add potato mixture into pan and flatten into patties about 1cm thick.
- Cook until browned and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- Add chopped bacon to hash browns, if desired
- Use any starchy potato for the hash browns