- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 Leeks , halved, sliced, soaked in cold water
- 3 sprigs Thyme, fresh
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 lbs Potatoes , peeled and thinly sliced
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper , freshly ground
- ½ lb Cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Stock, chicken or vegetable
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- ¼ tsp Paprika, sweet
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF. Butter a large baking dish.
- Drain and rinse the leeks. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks. thyme, salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are softened and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Season potatoes with salt and black pepper. Layer half of the potatoes in the buttered dish, then layer half of the cooked leeks over the potatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the cream cheese, cream, stock and garlic. Stir together, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer so the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Pour the cream mixture over the leeks and potatoes and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese is bubbly and golden, about 15 minutes more. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Make sure to soak the leeks in cold water for 30 minutes before using
- You can treat this dish as a side dish or vegetarian entrée
- Alternatively, you can substitute Parmesan cheese with Gruyere or cheddar