- 2 cups Cremini mushrooms , thinly sliced
- 1 medium Yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp Garlic , minced
- 1 1-inch piece Ginger , peeled & minced
- 1 ½ lbs Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper , freshly ground
- 3 cups Stock , chicken or vegetable
- ¼ cup Miso paste , red
- 2 tbsp Butter , unsalted
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil , toasted
- 1 ½ cups Jasmine rice
- 1 cup Peas, frozen
- For garnish - Fresh cilantro , chopped
- To a medium bowl, add cremini mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of stock and ¼ cup red miso paste until miso is dissolved.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat butter and sesame oil over medium heat until melted and shimmering. Add the mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and the mushrooms have released their liquid and the liquid is almost evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the miso mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits.
- Add the remaining 2 cups stock and the chicken. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally so that the rice doesn't stick to the pot. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, the rice is tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in peas. Garnish with cilantro.
- Alternatively, you can use chicken breasts
- Be sure to use the cilantro stems as well as the leaves for the garnish