Bacon, sliced and cut into strips
24 g / 1 oz
Yellow onion, diced
1 medium onion
Potato, Yukon Gold, peeled & diced
200 g / 7 oz
1 large potato
Corn, fresh kernels
350 g / 12 oz
730 mL / 3 cups
Black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large pot, sauté the bacon in the butter on medium heat until bacon is cooked, but not crisp. Add the flour and yellow onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, corn, whole milk, salt, black pepper, and stir.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, occasionally stirring, until potatoes and onions are tender.
- Transfer half the chowder into a blender and blend into a fine puree. Add back into the pot with the un-blended mixture. Serve.
- Garnish with parsley if you wish
- Alternatively, use frozen corn
- Add a pinch or two of cayenne if you like spice
- Omit bacon for a vegetarian-friendly dinner
- There might be leftovers, which will freeze well