- 5 cups Stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 ½ tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 onion Yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice, uncooked
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Black pepper , freshly ground
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- For garnish Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, bring stock to a simmer. Keep warm over low heat, but do not boil.
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the arborio rice and salt, cook 1 minute, stirring to coat the rice in olive oil.
- Add ½ cup stock; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Working ¾ cup at a time, add remaining stock, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (this should take 20 to 25 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Add butter, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Do not use cold stock as this will negatively affect the cooking process
- You can use Grana Padano and/or Pecorino cheese instead of Parmesan