- For pasta water Salt
- 1 lb Spaghetti, dried
- ½ cup Pasta water, reserved
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 lbs Eggplant, chopped into 2 cm / .8” chunks
- 1 tbsp Oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 4 cloves Garlic , sliced
- 1 bunch Basil stems, chopped
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 28 oz can Tomatoes , crushed
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bunch Basil leaves, torn
- 2 ½ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- For garnish Olive oil , extra virgin
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until a few minutes before al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry eggplant, adding extra olive oil if necessary. Sprinkle with oregano and toss to coat all sides.
- Once eggplant has browned on all sides, lower heat to medium and add olive oil, garlic, and basil stems. Stir to combine.
- Add white wine vinegar, tomatoes, salt and black pepper. Simmer for about 10 to 15 min. Stir in basil leaves.
- Stir in cooked spaghetti and a little of the reserved pasta water to the sauce. Divide pasta evenly among 4 bowls, spooning extra sauce on top.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese, basil and olive oil. Serve.
- Any long pasta noodle is suitable
- Alternatively, you can use ricotta or Pecorino cheese