- 1 28 oz can Tomatoes, whole
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1 Yellow onion, peeled and halved
- To taste Salt
- For pasta water Salt
- ¾ lb Penne pasta
- For garnish Parmesan cheese, shaved
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large saucepan, place tomatoes, butter, onion halves, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring and crushing the tomatoes with a spoon occasionally, until droplets of fat appear on the surface of the tomatoes, about 45 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne pasta to al dente and drain.
- Remove and discard the onion from the sauce. Break large chunks of tomato with a fork, if desired. Serve sauce over pasta with Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Grana Padano cheese makes a more affordable substitute for Parmesan
- Serve this sauce over any pasta noodle you wish
- This sauce freezes well, so feel free to double the batch and freeze half of it