- 1 lb Sea scallops, dry, large (U-10)
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
BROWN BUTTER SAUCE
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Capers
- 2 tbsp Chives, chopped
- Pull side muscle off scallops, if needed; pat dry. Season on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add scallops and cook, undisturbed, until their undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Gently flip and cook on second side until the flesh looks opaque, about 1 to 2 additional minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, reduce heat to medium. Add butter and cook, swirling, until butter foams, then browns, about 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and stir to emulsify sauce. Mix in capers and chives. Plate scallops evenly among 4 plates and spoon sauce around and over them.
- Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate)
- You can substitute olive oil with vegetable oil
- Add more lemon juice to the sauce, if desired