- For pasta water Salt
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- 1 lb Beef, ground
- ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs, preferably Panko
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Egg
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 1 medium Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 800 g can Tomatoes , crushed
- 1 Bay leaf
- To taste Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- For garnish Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until a few minutes before al dente. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine beef with bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix until just combined and form into approximately 15 balls.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Using the same pot, add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Return meatballs to pot and cover. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve spaghetti with meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Omit meatballs for vegetarian variation
- Garnish with red chilli flakes if desired