For pasta water
Spaghetti pasta (or from Pantry Essentials)
450 g / 1 lb
Pasta water, reserved
60 mL / ¼ cup
Olive oil, extra virgin
15 mL / 1 tbsp
Bacon, cut into thin strips
Yellow onion, chopped
1 medium onion
4 large eggs
90 mL / 6 tbsp
Parmesan cheese, grated
Black pepper, freshly ground
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until a few minutes before al dente. Drain, reserving ¼ cup pasta water.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook until onion is caramelized and bacon is crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together eggs, cream and Parmesan cheese. Scrape the cooked bacon and onion into bowl, along with the cooking fat.
- Add spaghetti and reserved pasta water to bowl and toss. Place a plate on top of the bowl to hold in the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the plate, garnish with salt, black pepper and parsley. Serve.
You can use pancetta instead of bacon
Garlic bread makes a nice accompaniment