- 6 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 4 cloves Garlic , minced
- 2 medium Yellow onion , chopped
- 1 28 oz can Tomato , whole, canned, in juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- For pasta water Salt
- 1 lb Spaghetti noodles
- For garnish Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, stirring, until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, including juice, and salt. Simmer gently, uncovered, stirring and mashing tomatoes with a fork occasionally, until sauce is thickened and reduced about 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until just before al dente. Drain and add pasta to large saucepan. Toss to coat. Garnish with cheese.
- Sugar will help round out the flavor if your sauce is too acidic (add about 1 tsp)
- Sauce can be frozen in an airtight container 3 months
- Alternatively, you can use linguine or bucatini pasta noodles