For pasta water
Penne pasta (or from Pantry Essentials)
225 g / 8 oz
Sausage, Italian hot, crumbled
285 g / 10 oz
About 3 sausages
Stock, vegetable or chicken
115 mL / ½ cup
Tomatoes, diced (canned)
400 g / 14 oz
110 mL / ½ cup
Black pepper, freshly ground
Basil, torn into small pieces
About 6 leaves
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook until a few minutes before al dente. Drain water. Set pasta aside.
- Remove sausage meat from casings and crumble it into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer sausage to a plate and set aside. Drain fat from skillet.
- Using the same skillet, add garlic, stock and all-purpose flour. Whisk until flour has dissolved and scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan. Cook until mixture is reduced, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, heavy cream, and sausage meat. Cook sauce until thickened to your preference, about 3 to 6 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add basil leaves and toss with drained pasta. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
- Alternatively, you can use mild sausage
- Any short pasta noodle is suitable to use