- 1 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 1 onion Red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 4 cups Sweet potato , peeled, chopped into 1.27 cm / ½” pieces
- 2 tbsp Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin , ground
- 1 tsp Oregano , dried
- 1 tsp Paprika, smoked
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- ¾ cup Tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can Tomatoes , canned, diced
- 2½ cups Stock , chicken or vegetable
- ¾ cup Quinoa, uncooked
- 1 30 oz can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- to taste Lime juice
- for garnish Cilantro , chopped
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Increase heat to medium and add olive oil and sweet potatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, black pepper and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes to integrate flavours.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, stock, quinoa and black beans. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until quinoa and sweet potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Garnish with lime juice and chopped cilantro. Serve.
- There may be leftovers which will freeze well
- Ensure that sweet potatoes are cut into small cubes so they will cook faster
- You can add additional toppings if desired, such as sour cream, avocado and green onion