- 5 cups Broccoli , cut into florets
- 2 tbsp Olive oil , extra virgin
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 15 oz can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 potato Sweet potato , peeled and grated
- 1 onion Yellow onion , peeled and grated
- ¼ cup Breadcrumbs, preferably Panko
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Parsley , chopped
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- ½ tsp Paprika, smoked
- 3 tbsp Neutral oil
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss broccoli with olive oil, garlic and salt. Spread onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast in preheated oven until broccoli is browned in spots, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas and mash them until they are no longer whole.
- Add sweet potato, yellow onion, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, parsley, salt, cumin and paprika to the bowl. Mix well.
- Scoop mixture out by the ½ cup and form into 1.3 cm / ½” thick patties, about 7 cm / 3” in diameter.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Fry patties until they are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. If necessary, work in batches. Transfer to a plate.
- Remove broccoli from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with patties.
- If desired, top sweet potato patties with a fried or poached egg
- Plain yogurt can be served as an accompaniment to patties
- Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans
- It is important that the chickpeas are fully mashed so that they will hold together in the skillet
- Additionally, garnish broccoli with lemon juice if desired