- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp salt, kosher
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp thyme, minced
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Dry inside and outside of chicken with paper towels. Add 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp of black pepper to the inside of the cavity, then truss the bird. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp of salt on top of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a sauté pan or roasting pan and, roast for 50 to 60 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F / 71°C. Remove it from the oven and add the thyme to the pan. Baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board.
- Remove twine. Separate the middle wing joint. Remove the legs and thighs. Take off the backbone and cut the breast down the middle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint still attached to each.
- Slather the meat with fresh butter. Serve.