- 4 oz Butter, unsalted
- 1 lb Carrots, diced
- 1 lb Onions, diced
- 3 28 oz cans Whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Salt, Kosher
- ½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Basil, chiffonade
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming, then add carrots and onions. Cook, stirring until butter starts to brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until quite thick, about 1½ hours. Adjust heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Purée soup with an immersion blender until smooth, or cool until no longer steaming before puréeing in a countertop blender. Stir in cream, then season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Stir in basil just before serving.